I have been using the same ratty potholders for years, embarrassed of them when we have company or when I use them to take a dish someplace else. At one point, I tried using a piece of a heavy wool sweater that had been felted as a potholder, but the heat still seeped through and they did not provide enough protection.
You can probably guess where this was going, but it took me a lot longer to figure it out. I simply sewed slipcovers for my ugly old potholders out of a felted wool sweater. It was so easy! I cut two squares a little larger than my potholders, placed the potholder in the middle, and sewed them together. I like the exposed edge, but one could turn them inside out after sewing and finish them that way.
They are so cute now! I chose a colorful striped sweater so I have a lot of coordinating color choices for the other two potholders that are left. I can't believe it took me as long as it did to figure it out, but now I am so glad it's done. I can't wait to show them off at Thanksgiving.