Learn. Choose. Change.

I pledge to learn the true cost, to people and the planet, of what I eat, wear, drive, use and do every day. I choose to consume justly and to increasingly change my habits.

Friday, September 13, 2013

Just Sew: Operation Project $0

About a year ago I started actively participating in the sewing blog world (after stalking/creeping for a year before that).  One of the first blogs I chose to follow was Suzanne's Winter Wonderings Wanderings & Whatnot.  She was challenging herself to create a fall wardrobe for her twin sons without spending any money by using up fabric in her stash and upcycling other cast off clothing.  At the time, I hadn't run across any other blogs with that kind of focus and was excited to find a kindred spirit.

What began as a personal challenge for Suzanne a year ago, has blossomed into a full blown blogging series featuring some heavy hitters in the sewing blog world, that she is calling Operation: Project $0.  While none of my kids were in dire need for an entire fall wardrobe, we did fill in some gaps at the thrift stores before school started.  As we were shopping, it became evident that my youngest has really developed an eye for the potential in clothing.  She knew just what she wanted to (re)create for her first day of school outfit.

Each of the pandas on the shirt above were cut out and reapplied to a thrifted t-shirt (half off at $1.50).  The pandas came from a hand me down shirt that has been in the pajama drawer due to its overall "rattiness".  
The jeans were also a hand me down from big brother, that were, of course, blown out at the knees.  We talked about different ideas for patches, and finally settled on embroidering one of her favorite phrases, "Art Rocks" (this is not the first time I have embroidered this phrase).  We wrote it out in many styles and decided to go with a Rock and Roll kind of font.

She was so proud of her customized look and could not wait to wear it on the first day of school.  I am so grateful for her creative spirit and look forward to collaborating with her more throughout the year.

5 comments:

  1. awesome outfit - she sure does have a great eye - and so fun to take just he pandas from an old T!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! It was a little tedious, but fun to do together. Thankfully, only about half of them were in good enough shape to save. She was also rocking some thrifted teal Toms, but I forgot to get those in the shot. That would've brought our total to $4.50, though.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this project $0 challenge. I will have to show a few items I am planning to make lily from upcycled thrift store finds. Thanks for telling me about it!

    mae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had her sophistication at that age. I can remember feeling a keen sense of "keeping up with the Jones'" and wanting to have all new stuff on the first day of school. Good for her to have, instead, a creative spirit and pride in choices that are great for her future and the future of this lovely verdant planet we call home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for stopping by and for such encouraging words!

      Delete